Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Picture Update!


This is a picture of my dear friend Francesca and some juice. But this isn't just any juice- this is two liters of straight-up juice nectar for 85 cents at the Supersol down the street from our bus stop. Francesca and I recently started teaching an English class four days a week after school, and on the way home we always stop at the Supersol and get whatever juice is on sale and either crackers, fruit, or cookies. We have to eat lunch at school and we never seem to be full after (probably because our families eat at home and we just pack a sandwich for after school), so this is a good way to tide over our hunger until dinner at nine.


The classroom that serves as our English teaching room. It's in the beauty school right below our high school (literally right below- we have to walk by it on our way to gym), and the students that we teach go to the beauty school, too. Francesca and I teach two classes two days a week, one Mondays and Wednesdays and the other Tuesdays and Thursdays. So far it has been a source of stress as the students are very unpredictable about when they show up- if they show up at all. Half the time I end up going home at 4 instead of 5 because no one showed up. But hopefully we'll get a steady flow of students in the next month and everything will be easy and all that jazz.


Though we're not even a month from Christmas, one of my favorite Navidad treats is called Mantecado (pronnounced "mahn-tay-cow") and we went into a small town about an hour and a half from Malaga to go to this special shop just to buy mantecado. That may sound a bit ridiculous, but these things are so good it was totally worth it. I don't even know how to explain what Mantecado is. It's not like anything I'd ever tasted before. It also comes in different flavors, though my favorite is chocolate with these little chocolate chips that are so good! It's kind of like a cookie but more crumbly and it has the consistency of brown sugar I guess. Maybe I'll bring some home.


After we bought mantecado we went with my host family and Isabel's mom and brother and their families to a restaurant with all these awesome old artifacts. I made Ana pose with several of them and each time she chose a seated apparition and pretended to be asleep. She cracks me up every day and is so much fun! I'm so glad I have a host sister, especially one as funny as Ana. 


Francesca and I were very sad on Halloween because we realized that there was no such thing as an American Halloween in Spain. So, we decided to create our own! We bought all the different American kinds of candy at the Supersol and dressed up as Americans (which pretty much just meant carrying around a small American flag and singing American songs). Our friends found it super entertaining and couldn't stop laughing the entire night.


The eve of Halloween- this was in the Centro at probably 11 or 12 at night. The girl on the left is Inma and the girl on the right is Patri. They're both friends from school and some of the sweetest people I have ever met. We stayed out til 2 that night, which was surprising considering it was a Monday night but we had both Monday and Tuesday off for a holiday. We like to joke that Monday was to get us prepped for partying and Tuesday was to let us recover from the partying. Either way we got a four day weekend just for Halloween. I'm not arguing with why we got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment